Help with Planning

Help with Planning

Dumbleton Parish Council is notified whenever a new planning application is submitted to Tewkesbury Borough Council’s Planning Department. We notify local residents through our email alert system – you can sign up for it by email the Parish Clerk. You should also see Green planning notices in the vicinity of the property to draw attention to the application. You can see the latest Planning Applications here.

Our parish councillors usually discuss each application at their next parish meeting, and a formal response is then agreed on behalf of the parish, and this is submitted to Tewkesbury Borough Council.

If you want to object or comment on any application we recommend using Tewkesbury Borough Council’s online Planning Portal though you can also send in your objections by letter. It is also helpful if a copy of your objections or comments is also sent to the Parish Council – please email the Parish Clerk.

The Planning Portal is also helpful for referring back to previous planning applications that may have been lodged for a site.

If you have concerns or comments on a particular planning application you can attend the relevant Parish Council meeting and voice your concerns during Public Question Time. Your views will then be taken into account when the Council prepares its formal response to Tewkesbury.

If you want to object to an application please make sure you focus on the relevant planning issues. These include:

  • Impact the development would have on the character of the area
  • If the development does not comply with the Local Plan
  • External design, appearance and layout
  • Impact of development on neighbouring properties
  • Highway safety
  • Government planning guidance

Avoid referring to non-planning matters as these cannot be taken into account when the committee determines the application. For example, do not focus on:

  • ‘Trade’ objections such as competition issues
  • Boundary or property disputes
  • The applicant’s motives
  • ‘Moral’ arguments
  • Matters covered by other laws
  • Loss of ‘view’
  • Personality issues
  • Reduction in property values

The National Association of Local Councils (NALC) has a useful guide to responding to Planning Applications that can be downloaded here.